Tuesday, April 27, 2010

What Have You Read Lately?

Ever since I can remember, my favorite activity has been reading. I can't imagine my life without books, my constant companions. Whenever I start to talk about books with people, someone will inevitablely ask me, "What do you like to read?" I always feel put on the spot and suddenly can't recall a single book I've ever read. I probably read more fiction than nonfiction, but I really enjoy them both.

It's probably easier to think of what I don't like to read. I haven't read a lot of science fiction, and what I have read I haven't really enjoyed. A friend who loves science fiction told me, "It's because you're not reading the right science fiction." This is entirely possible. I should look into that.

One genre I really don't care for is fantasy. I'm just not the kind of person who likes to become immersed in other worlds with quirky creatures and quests and spells and that sort of thing. I fear I will offend some of you, but I can't stand JRR Tolkein and those Hobbit and Lord of the Rings books. I got halfway through The Hobbit and I wanted to throw the book across the room.

So what do I like, then? I'm just going to start listing books (in no particular order) that have made a particular impression on me, and maybe it will paint a picture of the type of book I like:

  • Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett

  • The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay

  • A Mouthful of Air by Anthony Burgess

  • She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb

  • Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

  • City of Joy by Dominique LaPierre

  • Coming Home by Rosamunde Pilcher

  • The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco

  • The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough

  • Tim by Colleen McCullough

  • The Caine Mutiny by Herman Wouk

  • Adam Bede by George Eliot

  • A Room With a View by EM Forster

  • All the Jane Austen books

  • Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

  • To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

  • Sophie's Choice by William Styron

  • Of Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham

  • The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

  • Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy

  • The Color Purple by Alice Walker

  • Oldest Living Confederate Widow Tells All by Allan Gurganus

  • Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

  • The Witching Hour by Anne Rice

  • Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides

  • A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith

  • The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley

  • All of Pat Conroy's books

  • The Collector by John Fowles

  • Cat's Eye and Alias Grace (and others) by Margaret Atwood

  • The Mezzanine by Nicholson Baker

  • The "Little House" series by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Well, it seems I like a wide variety of books. I hope you try one of the books I've listed here. If you don't, that's fine too. The important thing is to read, read, and then read some more. Your English will improve tremendously, and you'll have some adventures along the way.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vocabulary

  • inevitable: something that is sure to happen 

  • put on the spot: feeling pressure to speak or do something quickly

  • possible: able to be done

  • immersed: fully involved in some activity or interest

  • quirky: unusual, especially in an appealing way

  • offend: to cause someone to be hurt, angry, or upset over something said or done

  • tremendously: in a very large or great manner 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vocabulary Practice

  1. I don't want to __________ her by not eating any, but I don't care for her blueberry pie.

  2. A ___________ large tree fell in my mother's front yard.

  3. I love the feeling of being so ____________ in a project that I forget to eat.

  4. The children's TV show Yo Gabba Gabba is a bit _____________ but somehow I like it.

  5. Once my eyes start closing while I read late at night, it's ____________ that I'll fall asleep.

  6. Andrew felt ____________ when his coworker asked him if he was coming to her party.

  7. Sometimes it doesn't seem ____________, but I know I will find a job someday.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Grammar Point
Direct Quotes

When you want to show that something you've written is an exact quote from a person, you need to put the words they said within quotation marks. The first letter of the quoted phrase is a capital, and any end marks (period, question mark, exclamation point) go before the ending quotes. Look at these examples from my blog entry:

  • Whenever I start to talk about books with people, someone will inevitablely ask me, "What do you like to read?"

  • A friend who loves science fiction told me, "It's because you're not reading the right science fiction."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Grammar Practice

Put quotation marks in the correct places in the following sentences:

  1. The crossing guard yelled, Stop! to the children.

  2. Bess asked her friend, Do you have the keys?

  3. When the hairdresser took out the scissors, I said, Please don't cut off too much hair.

  4. The librarian told the teenagers, Please keep the noise down.

  5. Elizabeth asked the bus driver, Which stop is nearest to the park?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Come Visit My Booklist!

Because I'm well-known among my friends and family for being a constant reader, people used to always ask me, "What should I read?" I had such a hard time recalling the titles and authors that I decided to keep a list of all the books I read. I began the original list in a notebook in 1992--no synopses, no reviews, no comments. In 2002, for the tenth anniversary of the list, I converted it to a website (though I still keep a hard copy of the ongoing list):
For the launch of the website, I added a rating system. I think I have about 430 books on the list at this point. I'd love it if you visited my website and sent it to your book-loving friends and family. Happy reading!

2 comments: